Metal Braces at Cavalancia Orthodontics
At Cavalancia Orthodontics, we love transforming teeth into a confident, beautiful smile for all of our Johnstown and Indiana, PA, area patients. The orthodontists and staff at Cavalancia are skilled and experienced at developing an individualized treatment plan to best treat each situation for the best results. One of those treatment plans is traditional metal braces. Metal braces are the oldest and most common type of orthodontic treatment. Today’s metal braces are much smaller, flatter and more comfortable than ever and are still the most effective for patients of all ages, even adults.
How Do Metal Braces Straighten My Teeth?
Traditional metal braces straighten your teeth using high-quality stainless steel or titanium brackets and wires.
- Brackets - Each tooth gets a metal bracket bonded to the front of the tooth
- Archwire - A thin archwire is shaped to your individual teeth and threaded into each bracket.
- Elastics - The archwire is secured with an elastic tie on each bracket. The ties that are used to attach the wire come in a variety of colors ranging from silver to lime green. These ties are changed every appointment.
Over time, the archwire places a subtle pressure on the teeth, and the force of the pressure helps move teeth into proper position, successfully realigning your smile! Metal braces are sleek, compact and have a low profile that limits irritation to the lips and surrounding cheeks.
How Do I Take Care Of My Braces?
With metal braces affixed to your teeth it is even more important to sustain proper oral hygiene habits. Taking care of your braces-wearing teeth means:
- Brushing your teeth at least four times every day: After breakfast, after lunch, after dinner, before bed.
- Flossing your teeth at least once daily to keep food particles from gathering in and around your brackets and archwire. We recommend using a floss threader to help you work around your braces.
- Choosing foods wisely. With braces, you will want to avoid any foods that are hard, sticky, crunchy or full of sugar like: taffy, caramel, pizza crust, whole apples, tootsie rolls, raw carrots or hard candies. These foods can not only promote tooth decay, they can damage or even break your braces and slow down your treatment.
Find Your Best Smile At Cavalancia Orthodontics!Find out what sets our orthodontic treatment apart from others. Contact us for your first free consultation at (814) 254-4637 in Johnstown or (724) 463-7700 in Indiana. We’ll be happy to examine your current situation, answer any questions that you have, and discuss available treatment options with you. Traditional metal braces are still the most popular, quickest, and most cost-effective orthodontic treatment available. Let our top-notch orthodontists get started on creating your best smile today!