Effective and efficient teeth brushing is the foundation of dental and orthodontic health. Today, there are a lot of techniques, opinions, and toothbrushes out there to help you brush correctly. That being said, it's hard to determine which techniques are the best. At Cavalancia Orthodontics, our Johnstown orthodontists want you to decide for yourself and your orthodontic health. We will provide you with all the necessary information and tools to choose the best toothbrush for your teeth, braces, and cleaning needs.
The regular toothbrush is old faithful. It has been known to work effectively and keep teeth clean since the start of dental hygiene. There are definite advantages and disadvantages of the regular toothbrush.
- Long Term Effectiveness: The regular toothbrush has proved to be effective. If used correctly, these toothbrushes will fight plaque and bacteria, and keep your teeth clean. They are effective for all stages of life: small children, teens with any type of braces in Indiana (metal braces, ceramic braces, or clear aligners), and adults.
- Easy & Simple: Regular toothbrushes are exactly how they look, simple. They do not need batteries or chargers, and they are always ready to use.
- Durable & Compact: These toothbrushes are difficult to break. They can be dropped or tossed and will remain the same. Regular toothbrushes are also easy to pack for any reason, whether you are traveling or like to keep an extra toothbrush in your purse/backpack (which is especially helpful for patients with Invisalign or braces in Indiana).
- Specific Technique Necessary: Regular toothbrushes are certainly effective, but they need to be used with a specific technique to ensure clean teeth. This can be difficult to achieve for some, especially for children learning how to brush their teeth or for teenagers with new braces.
- No Timer: With a regular toothbrush, you must time yourself. At Cavalancia Orthodontics, our Johnstown orthodontists recommend at least two minutes of teeth brushing to fully clean each tooth. A regular toothbrush does not have a built-in timer instead, you should use a kitchen timer or your phone.
The electronic toothbrush is the new and improved model. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's better than the regular toothbrush. You can be the judge!
- Easy Technique: The electric toothbrush makes brushing easy for any age. There is little work or technique involved, the toothbrush does it for you! The electric toothbrush is especially good for all types of braces in Johnstown, as it helps get into the small spots between brackets and wires efficiently.
- Convenient Timer: Most electric toothbrushes have an internal timer that lets you know when the two-minute mark has been met. This will ensure you brush for the full time. Another easy adaptation for children and teens with braces.
- Batteries & Chargers: Electric toothbrushes run on electricity, meaning they need some type of electrical source. Depending on the toothbrush, the source may be batteries or a charger stand. Needing electricity can be inconvenient, especially when traveling or with limited space.
- Easily Broken: Electric toothbrushes are more fragile than regular toothbrushes. If dropped, the toothbrush can be damaged or break together.
- Higher Cost: Depending on the brand and features, electric toothbrushes can be quite pricey.
Contact Cavalancia Orthodontics for Braces in Indiana!
Ultimately, the choice of toothbrushes is up to you and your preference for cleaning your teeth and braces. For further questions about cleaning your teeth with Invisalign or braces in Johnstown, please contact Cavalancia Orthodontics. Our staff will be happy to discuss all toothbrushes and techniques with you. We look forward to seeing you again soon!